AreaGuides Field Rep Attributes & Equipment
The following are attributes that we feel define
a successful field representative for the AreaGuides Community Guide Network. In addition to
personality and skill set attributes we’ve included a list of recommended
equipment and supplies. The most important attributes are listed first:
- Must be an outgoing positive individual with strong outside selling
- Must be physically fit and able to canvas for hours while carrying a
sample book and/or laptop computer.
- Must be able to work without supervision. Although AreaGuides tries to
support all field reps as much as possible, the nature of the work requires
individuals that can think on their feet and make things happen with little
- Must be self-starters. No one will call field reps and say it’s time
to go to work. Field reps keep their own schedule and set their own
- Must be organized. The buck stops with the field rep so strong
organizational and customer service skills are a must.
- Must have a good eye for photography and be able to understand and
explain the Internet and the AreaGuides product line.
- Must understand that working as an independent contractor building your
own business has advantages and disadvantages and must see the potential
upside of this project.
- Must believe in empowering and educating sponsors and users of our
- Must enjoy attending and promoting community events.
A Successful Infrastructure
Is Key ~ Like a successful line
mechanic to be successful in any business you must have a strong set of
tools. In addition to owning the tools listed below you must have the
knowledge base to use them to their full potential and, most
importantly, keep yourself in the best possible physical condition so
health issues don't slow you down.
- Laptop running Windows XP* (Sony Vaio) with wireless Internet access
Network is recommended). You may also want to utilize a PDA or smart phone to keep clients
organized. A good GPS unit for your car is a good
idea and to really take the show on the road check out the OQO see the
article link below and http://OQO.com
(The Garmin PDA with built in GPS, Model iQue 3600 is a good
choice if you don't have GPS already).
- Cellular Phone (Verizon recommended)
- Digital voice recorder for playing radio
spots and client testimonials - also good for making notes in the
field (may be included in your PDA).
- Reliable car (Toyota Prius recommended)
in good condition with AreaGuides lettering. Segway HT is
- Canon digital camera. (available at cost from
- Shirts and Jackets embroidered with AreaGuides brand
names (e.g. Frederick.com).
- Home office with PC, printer and scanner.
*now our dynamic pages are compatible with
Mac Firefox browser too.
The Art of Canvassing and Daily
Tasks - Building a Successful Community Website.
Also check out: